Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Overwhelmed

It's been a while since I've posted here, but don't think my silence is some indication of contentment. On the contrary, my silence is a combination of two things:

** I've been busy in Korea, China, Vermont and France, and

** The sheer enormity of outrage flowing from the Obama administration has made it hard to know where to start. First came Obama's stimulus package, which I've previously commented on, and then came his inaugural budget, which upped the ante considerably. Obama's disingenuousness in selling both pieces of legislation has been nothing short of historic. Pretending that we need to compensate for the sins of our leveraged, profligate ways by taking on ever more towering leverage in order to provide for ever more profligate spending is something which only someone as silver-tongued as Obama could pull off. The only question is how he does it with a straight face.

And with regard to contentment, the opposite is true. I have settled into a deep and lasting pessimism. I am beginning to feel that the steps that are being taken right now to launch the United States toward a European-style social democracy may well be irreversible. Even if some Ronald Reagan were found in the next eight or ten years, the damage may have been done. The miracle which is the United States may be being lost, right now.

The only person who seems to be taking notice of this deplorable situation is Charles Krauthammer. Regular ole Americans are so distracted by the economic turmoil that they are, in my opinion, largely unaware of what is going on.

Anyway, a couple of things have happened in the last few days which I have a particular experience, or interest, in, so I will be posting on those things. Then, I head to Paris for two weeks, so you may or may not hear from me depending on how it goes.

No comments: